Quick Reference of Major Years:
Foundation of the Free Worlds League -- 2271
The Age of War -- 2398
The BattleMech is Invented -- 2439
Star League Established -- 2556
Stephen Amaris the Usurper -- 2766-2767
Kerensky's Exodus -- 2784
First Succession War -- 2786
Second Succession War -- 2830-2864
Third Succession War -- 2866-3022
Wolf's Dragoons Arrive -- 3005
The Fourth Succession War -- 3028-3030
End of the Succession Wars -- 3040
The Clans Invade -- 3049
- Second Soviet Civil War.
- End of Soviet Civil War as combined American and Western European troops
intervene to end hostilities.
- Alliance scientists build the first fusion reactor. Kearny and Fuchida
release their initial findings on physics and are ridiculed.
- The Western Alliance, composed of forces involved in the war, includes
Japan, Eastern European nations recently liberated, and the now separate
seven Russian States. The Alliance begins vigorous support of scientific and
space exploration efforts.
- First fusion driven spacecraft travels from Earth to Mars in 14 days.
Myomer fiber research begins.
- Alliance has established scientific outposts throughout the solar system.
Private corporations begin establishing commercial colonies in space,
resulting in research for better materials and smaller portable fusion
reactors. Long range space probes launched to nearby stars. Several
habitable worlds are discovered.
- Western Alliance becomes the Terran Alliance, with 120 member states.
- Faster than light stardrives developed based on Kearny/Fuchida research.
The JumpShip is invented but the cost of the project causes civil unrest.
- Maiden voyage of a JumpShip to Tau Alpha Ceti.
- Following commercial production of FTL spacecraft, the first permanent
colony is established on Tau Alpha Ceti.
- At this time there are more than 100 colonized worlds.
- Rudolph Ryan invents the Iceship to solve water shortage problems.
- More than 600 worlds settled. A group of colonies declares its
independence. After an 18 month war it is clear that the Terran government
lacks the resources necessary to crush the rebellion.
- Terran government grants independence to all of its colony worlds. Soon
the boundary of Terran space shrinks to a 30 light year radius. People begin
migrating to escape the unrest on Earth.
- Foundation of the Free Worlds league.
- Civil war on Terra causes the collapse of the Terran Alliance. McKenna
intervenes with the space-borne forces to stop the fighting and founds the
Terran Hegemony under his leadership. He successfully reunites many of the
- Starting with the Crucis Pact, several mutual defense leagues similar to
the Treaty of Marik begin to take shape.
- McKenna Dies.
- Michael Cameron replaces McKenna as Director General. During his term in
office, the Work Mech is invented using Myomer technology.
- 10 separate states with strong central governments have been formed.
- The Age of War begins as forces of the Capellan Confederation and the Free
Worlds League clash in the Andurien system. A number of short, bloody
- After the battle of Tintavel results in thousands of civilian casualties,
representatives of the states meet to formulate and sign the Ares
Conventions, a set of rules for warfare. Though the Ares Conventions reduce
the damages of war, they also cement war as a way of life, and a method of
settling even the smallest disputes.
- Numerous border conflicts. No conclusive wins or losses occur, though the
Terran Hegemony maintains superiority with the invention of the BattleMech
- BattleMech invented, creating a vehicle with greater mobility and
firepower than previous vehicles.
- Lyran Commonwealth raid on Hegemony Mech production facility on Hesperus
II. BattleMech technology begins to spread throughout the various states.
- The Age of War ends in another battle between Houses Marik and Liao over
- Clasped Hands Treaty and Treaty of Geneva establish Ian Cameron of the
Terran Hegemony, Terrence Liao of the Capellan Confederation, and Albert
Marik of the Free Worlds League as the founders of the Star League. Further
agreements with the Federated Suns, the Lyran Commonwealth, and the Draconis
Combine unites the Inner Sphere. Ian Cameron becomes First Lord, with the
other rulers holding seats on the high council.
- With the Taurian Concordat, the Rim Worlds Republic, and the Magistracy of
Canopus resisting all efforts to be brought into the league by diplomatic
means, war is declares between the Star League and the Periphery States.
Reunification War begins.
- Reunification complete, the Periphery States surrender, becoming
territories ruled by the Star League.
- Hyperpulse Generator invented, capable of speedy transmissions. In
following years the Star League Establishes a network of stations tying the
many systems of the Star League together efficiently for the first time. At
the same time, a cheap water purification system is invented, rendering
- When intelligence reports indicate that the Rim Worlds are building their
army at an alarming rate, Michael Cameron and the Council issue an edict
limiting the size of private forces in the states. Though obvious buildups
are halted, secret armies are built and small wars occasionally fought
despite the apparent unity of the Star League.
- Simon Cameron, fifth First Lord of the Star League, is accidentally killed
in mining colony inspection, leaving 8-year-old Richard as his sole heir.
The Council appoints Alexandr Kerensky as Regent, but with little Council
support, thus limiting his power. During the ten year regency, the 2650
edict of Michael Cameron is canceled, allowing the member states to double
their private military assets. An increase in allowable tax revenue
- First Lord Richard Cameron reaches his Majority, and issues an order to
disband all independent armies. His proposal is struck down. In response, he
dissolves the council, vowing to rule by decree.
- Richard Cameron's tax edict rejected by the Periphery nations. Kerensky
sent to cow the revolt brewing there.
- Stefan Amaris signs secret pact with Richard to protect Terra. When
Cameron House units are sent to the Periphery as well, Amaris forces are the
only ones left to guard Terra.
- Stephan Amaris kills Richard Cameron and every man, woman and child with a
drop of Cameron blood. At the same time, his troops move against Terra and
other planets of the Terran Hegemony.
- Amaris declares himself First Lord of the Star League. Kerensky declares a
cease fire with all Periphery States except the Rim Worlds and declares full
war with the Usurper and his realms. He takes the Rim Worlds Republic, then
returns to the Terran Hegemony.
- Kerensky liberates Terra, and executes the Usurper and his entire family
in retribution for his actions. Kerensky proclaims himself Protector of the
Realm and invites the Star League Council to reconvene on Terra. The Council
Lords convene and remove Kerensky, while they each pursue their own claim to
the office of First Lord. Jerome Blake appointed Minister of Communications
and placed in charge of repairing the Star League Communications network.
- The Council dissolves itself, and the Lords return to their separate
realms to prepare for war.
- When the leaders of the great houses call for Kerensky's resignation, he
gathers a huge fleet of the Star League Army together at New Earth. He and
his troops leave Star League Territory and pass beyond the Periphery. 80% of
the Army goes with him.
- Kerensky and his followers, vowing to return one day to restore the Star
League, form colonies on a series of worlds known as The Pentagon.
Eventually, the trials of life beyond the Periphery cause a rebellion.
Kerensky's son and successor, Nicholas, leads his own troops to the planet
Strana Mechty. There, he forms the basis of a society which will be created
when he returns to retake the Pentagon Worlds. The Clans are formed, based
on a clan governmental structure which uses genetic engineering to create
the best warriors the Human Worlds have ever seen. By the time the Clans
prepare to return to the Inner Sphere, new races of perfect troops for
infantry, aerospace and Mech piloting have been created and placed behind
the most advanced weapons technology ever created, surpassing the Inner
Sphere by a wide margin. [For more information, see the Clan History section.]
- Starting with Minoru Kurita, the Lords of the Inner Sphere each declare
themselves First Lord of the Star League. The Succession Wars begin. The
major States are the Draconis Combine ruled by House Kurita, the Free Worlds
League ruled by House Marik, the Federated Suns ruled by House Davion, the
Capellan Confederation led by House Liao, and the Lyran Commonwealth led by
House Steiner. Blake obtains agreements that the Lords of the Inner Sphere
will not attempt to damage the communications network. The Communications
Authority arises as a neutral power in control of the communications
network, in the hopes of saving it and the rapidly disappearing technologies
of the Star League.
- First Succession War. Ares conventions cast aside in a brutal war.
Facilities for producing technology and knowledge of how to produce them are
destroyed at an alarming rate. After such a brutal war a lasting peace is
neither expected nor wanted. Instead, the short peace is used to build for
the next great war. Because of losses of trade for spare parts for
purification equipment, many worlds are abandoned, and water-rich worlds
become extremely valuable strategic targets.
- Hastily recruiting several regiments, Blake takes control of Terra,
declaring it a neutral world under protection of the Communications
Authority. The organization soon takes the name ComStar.
- ComStar becomes an institute for the preservation of technology and
knowledge, so that it may reveal it to the people of the Inner Sphere when
the fighting is over. Unfortunately, in an effort to prevent this preserved
technology from adding further years to the conflicts, measures are taken to
maintain a monopoly on Star League technical data. This eventually is
perverted into an organization which uses its technology in an attempt to
dominate the Inner Sphere.
- ROM, the intelligence directorate of ComStar, is formed to prevent the
spread of technology and defection of ComStar personnel.
- Blake dies. He is replaced by Conrad Toyama. Approached by several
representatives of a faction seeking to use ComStar's technological
advantage to conquer the Inner Sphere, he instead initiates a purge of the
faction, using ROM to wipe out all its members before any resistance can be
organized. Toyama initiates the reorganization that will turn ComStar into a
religious organization bent on the isolation of ComStar's knowledge and
power until the rest of society collapses, at which point ComStar will
return to save the human race.
- Second Succession War. As destructive as the last war, it accelerates the
process of technological decline. By the end of the war, technology has sunk
overall to 21st century levels, with the great houses just barely
maintaining the technology to fight the war. Though BattleMechs are still
built, they can be produced only in small numbers, and spare parts become
scarce, as do people capable of doing the repairs. Repair and supply bases
become as valuable as water if not more.
- By the time Karpov becomes Primus of ComStar, ComStar has begun subtle
manipulations of the Inner Sphere, in order to facilitate ComStar's eventual
success. To further aid this effort, he opens a number of positions in
ComStar to members of Great House and MechWarrior families, allowing them
access to information on events and what little technological innovation was
- Third Succession War. As the Lords' resources become more depleted, the
violence begins to decline. Unwritten rules similar to the Ares Conventions
are put into force by the warriors themselves, causing much less destruction
and slowing, but not stopping, Mankind's slide into barbarism.
- Wolf's Dragoons enter the Inner Sphere on a recon mission for the Clans.
They begin to take work as mercenaries in order to gather information about
the Successor Houses. They become known as a top line mercenary unit.
- Hanse Davion sets up the New Avalon Institute of Science, as a
semi-military academy and research center for old and new technologies.
- House Davion and House Steiner sign the Federated Commonwealth Treaty,
creating an alliance between the two houses, and betrothing Archon-Designate
Melissa Steiner to Hanse Davion to unite the two nations. In response, the
other three Houses form their own alliance in the Concord of Kapteyn.
Several attempts are made on Davion's life.
- Agents of House Liao attempt to replace Hanse Davion with a cloned
replacement. Hanse vows revenge.
- At his wedding, Hanse Davion offers Melissa Steiner-Davion the Capellan
Confederation as a wedding gift. The Fourth Succession War begins.
- The Fourth Succession War. Steiner and Davion forces attack the Capellan
Confederation and the Draconis Combine. They declare victory and a cease
fire, ending the war.
- ComStar removes a communications interdiction imposed on House Davion for
an alleged attack on a ComStar station. In exchange, ComStar gains the right
to garrison its facilities with its own BattleMech troops, gaining 50
regiments by 3050. Precentor Myndo Waterly becomes Primus. She begins taking
a more active role in the affairs of the Inner Sphere.
- After making their reports to the Clans, Wolf's Dragoons return to the
Inner Sphere with orders from a faction within the clans (known as the
Wardens) to prepare the Inner Sphere for the Clan invasion (being led by the
opposing faction, known as the Crusaders). Wolf's Dragoons' decision to take
this course of action is technically viewed as a defection and/or treason by
people on both sides in the conflict to come.
- Maximilian Liao, having gone mad during the war, kills himself. Romano
Liao takes the throne. The St. Ives Compact secedes from the Capellan
Confederation. At about the same time the Free Rasalhague Republic is
allowed to secede from the Draconis Combine.
- The Federated Commonwealth launches a war against the Draconis Combine.
Newly outfitted with Star League-era BattleMechs provided by ComStar as part
of a deal for garrisoning rights, Theodore Kurita forces back the assault.
- End of the Succession Wars.
- 3049 - 3050
- The Clans invade. Clans Wolf, Ghost Bear, Jade Falcon, Smoke Jaguar, Nova
Cat, and Steel Viper leading. Many worlds are lost as the clans press toward
Terra. Primus Waterly establishes diplomatic relations with the clans in an
attempt to play the two sides against each other, weakening both.
- Comstar, which had been cooperating with the Clan conquerors up until this
point, draws a line at Tukayyid. The battle results in a defeat for the
Clans as more than 50 Com Guard BattleMech Regiments meet 25 Galaxies of
Clan Troops. Comstar retains possession of Terra, in addition to a 15 year
truce, during which neither side will attack enemy held worlds on the
opposing side of the truce line. The fate of Enemy worlds on the friendly
side of the line is uncertain, leading to a reduced, but still present
amount of fighting. At the same time, Comstar launches Operation Scorpion as
hundreds of Comstar personnel, formerly aiding in the administration of
conquered worlds, rise up in (futile) rebellion. In an attempt to subvert
the authority of the leaders of the Inner Sphere, Comstar attempted to
interdict communications in all the Houses. However, the Houses had already
seized many of the Comstar facilities and had developed alternative
communications systems besides. Soon after this decision, Primus Myndo
Waterly is killed by Precentor Martial Focht. A schism develops between
Comstar and a faction known as Word Of Blake, as Comstar begins to release
technological knowledge to the masses.
- [Note that although the "official" universe is now well on
into 3060 and beyond, this timeline will not continue any further. It is
intended to represent Adrian's knowledge of the universe, and he will likely
never progress beyond 3052.]
This data file was originally obtained from the BattleTech
3056 MUSE. It was originally converted to HTML by Michael J. Flynn of The Company Store and Team
SPAM! who believe "Information is in the noise!"